[BSW] June 6 meeting speaker and topic

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Thu May 11 07:59:53 CDT 2023

At the June 6 meeting, the speaker will be Dr. Caren Chang,
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics, University of Maryland

Her topic:
Ethylene Hormone Signaling in Arabidopsis thaliana

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85140612491?pwd=eHJJTlVPYTFYQ0hYMDViKytNSW9zQT09
Meeting ID: 851 4061 2491   Passcode: 640159

Flier: http://botsoc.org/jun23.pdf

Ethylene is a gaseous plant hormone that has profound effects on plant
growth and development. Flowering plants produce ethylene from a molecule
called 1-amino-cyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid (ACC). Given that ACC is
much easier to work with than ethylene gas, scientists often treat plants
with ACC in order to induce ethylene responses. However, recent evidence
tells us that ACC can unexpectedly trigger responses in plants that are
distinct from those induced by ethylene. This raises the interesting
possibility that ACC itself is a signal in plants with ramifications for
the use of ACC as a substitute for ethylene. Evolutionarily, we find that
ACC may have served as a signal prior to acquiring its role as the
ethylene precursor in seed plants. This seminar will present some of the
supporting evidence we found in the liverwort Marchantia polymorpha and
the small flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana, in the context of the
emerging evolutionary history of ethylene as a plant hormone.