[BSW] Botanical Mèlange

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Fri Jul 23 14:33:44 CDT 2021

The next BSW meeting will be at 7pm on Tuesday, September 7. As has been
the custom in September, it will be Members' Night. So start thinking now
if you have a short topic (5-10 minutes) you would like to present.

Tuesday, July 27 at 7:30pm MNPS Monthly Program
National Park Forests in the Eastern US: Ecological Value and Natural
Resource Challenges
Speaker: Dr. Liz Matthews, Ecologist, National Park Service Inventory and
Monitoring Program
Register here: https://mdflora.org/event-4349614

Thursday, July 29 at 7:30pm
Where have all the mammals gone? with Joel Cohen
Organized By: MD Natural Places Committee
https://act.sierraclub.org/events/details?formcampaignid=7013q000002FBKAAA4

Saturday and Sunday, September 25-26 - MNPS Annual Conference
Rare Plants and Communities of the Baltimore-Washington Corridor
https://mdflora.org/event-4357179

Rare wild orchids stolen from Draycote Meadows
https://www.stratford-herald.com/news/rare-wild-orchids-stolen-9202205/

The Truth Behind the Amazon Mystery Seeds
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/07/unsolicited-seeds-china-brushing/619417/

MNPS Program: Human Impacts On Native Plants & Insects:
Restoring Biodiversity with Dr. Sara Via from 06/29/2021 is available at
https://youtu.be/x4PdgS_yzw4

New insight on the reproductive evolution of land plants
https://phys.org/news/2021-07-insight-reproductive-evolution.html

Engineered plants' roots turn red when helpful fungi show up
https://newatlas.com/science/genetically-engineered-plants-red-roots-fungi/

Plant poachers threaten California’s biodiversity
https://calmatters.org/commentary/2021/07/plant-poachers-threaten-californias-biodiversity/

Here's a picture of a Goldenseal plant with a fruit taken on the Antietam
Battlefield a couple of days ago. I mentioned it to a friend in Richmond
who was surprised I had seen it given its known locations in Virginia
which show it from none of the northern counties.
Pic of plant:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sznu7de2Dw6S7hoKqoBzgsbcLf4-abTt/view?usp=sharing
Map in Virginia Atlas:
http://www.vaplantatlas.org/index.php?do=plant&plant=2856&search=Search