[BSW] Misc. Things Botanical

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Tue Jul 13 13:55:26 CDT 2021

Tuesday, July 20 - 5-6pm - NYBG Doctoral Defense:
Conservation, Comparative Genomics, and Species Delimitation of the
Reindeer Lichens
https://www.nybg.org/event/nybg-doctoral-defense-conservation-comparative-genomics-and-species-delimitation-of-the-reindeer-lichens/

Ditching grass could help your backyard thrive
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2021/06/30/climate-friendly-backyard/

New Plant Invaders of Mid‐Atlantic Natural Areas - Orders Due August 13,
2021 (6th Edition)

Flier: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Di9EvzVTDkV76OcgJ2aNpcbcypD-VR4R/view?usp=sharing
Order Form: https://forms.gle/xLUo9Ph5jPB5ubAY8

Meet the Philly kid who helped solve the strange case of a missing bee and
a rare Pa. plant
https://www.inquirer.com/science/missing-bee-heuchera-alba-plant-bucknell-university-discovery-20210712.html

Appeal to identify 'La Botaniste' who slipped from history
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57601841

If you missed the July 1 VNPS meeting....

Marion summarized the major changes in the 2020 update of the Flora of
Virginia App. She is chair of the Foundation of the Flora of Virginia
Project (FFVP) which has developed seven Education Modules to help you
understand and use the Flora of Virginia in print and digital forms. The
Education Module videos will be available soon on the VNPS and Flora of
Virginia websites. Marion also talked about changes to the FFVP board of
directors. After twenty years and serving on both of the boards of
directors and currently as vice president, Marion is stepping down from
the board and is very excited about the new board’s makeup.

Watch the recording on Vimeo now at https://vimeo.com/570644609.

Recent program of Arkansas Native Plant Society
"Parasitic Native Plants of Arkansas with Adam Schneider"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ATGvnjKpY

Arkansas Native Plant Society YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIlEFuRaz0HbIgXxwRIHvw

A couple of stories about what's said to be the oldest tree in Paris:

What we can learn from Paris's oldest tree
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/what-we-can-learn-fr%0Aom-paris-oldest-tree-20210713?s=03
(One needs to sign in or sign up)

The Oldest Tree in Paris – The Robinia Tree of Square René Viviani
https://thetreeographer.com/2018/04/06/oldest-tree-in-paris-robinia-of-square-rene-viviani/

Mystery Plant Identified

>From the last email:

"I came across a description of a plant in a little book called
"Scratching the Woodchuck: Nature on an Amish Farm. The farm is located in
Ohio, about 70 miles south of Cleveland.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/148lmA6HbGNbOqw6OCM526OtRysfpCF73/view?usp=sharing"

The identity of the mystery plant has since been unearthed.

After asking some people I thought might know but who did not, I decided
to post the description in a Plant ID group on Facebook. There were a
couple of suggested answers but then I saw one which sounded like it must
be the correct one.  A woman from PA said:

"I think I tracked it down in the Flower Family Album from 1999... (Google
Books search) It says that Spider Flower (cleome) is also called the
Electric Light Plant, and dots Nebraska and Colorado with thousands of
blooms. It's an annual so it fits!"

I decided to try my own search in Google books and saw not only the
result she mentioned but one in another book, "Historical Common Names of
Great Plains Plants, with Scientific Names Index. Volume I: CommonNames"
  ... - Page 116  by Elaine Nowick · 2014
...and which I found to be available as a download:
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/zeabook/27/