[BSW] Zoom link for Feb. 2 - More from the graduate student - Darwin's Passion + Misc.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Thu Jan 21 18:07:03 CST 2021

Zoom link for our Tuesday, February 2, meeting, Lucas Majure, of the FLAS
herbarium, will be our speaker.  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89117092317
Meeting ID: 891 1709 2317   By phone: 301.715.8592

His topic:
"A Closer Look at the Cacti of the Antilles Reveals a Complicated
Biogeographic History”
https://www.majurelab.org
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/herbarium/
A flier is here:  http://botsoc.org/feb21.pdf

--------------------------------------

New York Botanical Garden

Friday, January 22 11 a.m. to Noon - Darwin’s Passion for Plants
https://www.nybg.org/event/darwins-passion-for-plants/

Friday, January 29; 11 a.m. to Noon
Plant Diversity in Brazil: Studying Sedge Evolution and the Atlantic
Coastal Forest
https://www.nybg.org/plant-research-and-conservation/news-events/events-and-activities/

---------------------------------------

Eagle hill Online Mini-seminars
https://eaglehill.us/programs/sems-online/calendar-online.shtml
https://eaglehill.us/programs/sems-online/general-info.shtml

---------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 27 at 1:00 p.m
National Conservation Training Center
Upcoming Public Lectures: “J. Drew Lanham on his book The Home Place:
Memoirs of a Colored Man’s Love Affair with Nature”
https://nctc.fws.gov/history/publiclectures.html
Other NCTC broadcasts: https://nctc.fws.gov/broadcasts/

---------------------------------------

Plant Rediscoveries in Baja California and Discoveries in San Diego County
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=226796612338650&ref=watch_permalink
(I believe it can be watched without a facebook account.)

---------------------------------------

Further info from the graduate student including a link to a survey:

My name is Ashley Rohde and I am a graduate student at Utah State
University.  I'm conducting a study as part of my dissertation research
reaching out to researchers, land managers, and conservation volunteers
who actively participate in conservation actions.  I am contacting you and
other members of native plant societies because you have direct experience
working on and thinking about conservation issues.

Specifically, I would like to know how the results of different types of
scientific studies are put into action for conservation.  I will compare
how conservation practitioners use the results of molecular-based studies
and abundance-based studies to inform conservation actions.  This study is
of particular interest to me because, as a scientist, I want to be
confident that the limited resources available for conservation research
are used as efficiently as possible.  Molecular techniques are used by
researchers more and more to answer questions about species of
conservation concern, but their results may be difficult for practitioners
without molecular training to interpret and implement. You do not need to
have experience with molecular methods to take this survey! I hope to
gather information about the perspectives of people with many different
experiences.

If you are interested in participating in the study (which I hope you
are), please follow the link included in this email to complete a short
survey.  It should take about five minutes.  Your answers are
confidential, and you will not be asked to provide your name.  Please only
complete the survey one time.  The Institutional Review Board (IRB) for
the protection of human research participants at Utah State University has
reviewed and approved this study as protocol #9724.

Thank you very much for contributing to this study!  Every response
provides the perspective of a person with unique experiences and opinions;
I am happy to be able to include yours.

Survey Link: Take the Conservation Survey Now!
https://usu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0wUwGmCL4jRcGxf

Sincerely,

Ashley Rohde
Student Researcher