[BSW] Public online meeting today at 4pm regarding MAGLEV project

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Wed Sep 9 09:45:11 CDT 2020

Jane Hill sent word of a meeting this afternoon at 4PM regarding the river
and stream impacts of the proposed MAGLEV project.  (Link for Google meet
is below.)

From: Droege, Sam <sdroege at usgs.gov>

All

You might want to attend this public meeting.   Its for the Patuxent
River Commission, it puts me and the refuge manager (Jennifer Greiner)
up against the VP of the MAGLEV corporation, talking about river /
stream impacts.  We did this once before.  The VP went first and
basically did nothing more give their standard MAGLEV powerpoint and
tagged on that they would make sure they followed all the rules about
runoff etc.  I came after and told everyone what would be lost and
that there was no way these losses could be justified or mitigated and
went into all the reasons these areas are special for the people of
the area.  They were caught off guard and had no real come backs other
than the pat on the head that "I had a lot of passion".  This time
should be different, with MAGLEV likely geared up for a more focused
presentation and local politicians and the commission in attendance
and also ready with more questions.....it might be your only chance to
see the corporation in action and how they are responding to the
concerns of federal properties.  You can also post questions in the
"chat" feature if things come up that you want more answers to.

Feel free to spread around to others who may be interested...again, I
specifically asked if the meeting was open from the organizers, they
affirmed this was the case and that the zoom features below were the
correct ones.

sam