[BSW] Next meeting - Tuesday, October 6 + Misc.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Wed Sep 2 11:32:31 CDT 2020

Our next meeting will be on the first Tuesday of October.

It was voted upon at last night's meeting to have the November meeting
take place on Monday the 2nd as our normal Tuesday collides with the
national election.

Topics for those months have not yet been confirmed.

We had a very enjoyable Zoom last night with quite an array of
presentations.  The last was by Edd Barrows who diverged from his initial
proposed topic to a tale of what apparently is illegal tree cutting in the
right of way in his Bethesda neighborhood.

I got an email right afterwards letting me know of an error in my ID of a
plant.  It's a plant I know well but had inadvertantly said the Star
Chickweed was Stellaria media - which is the weedy little spring plant -
rather than S. pubera which is the nice native. I was very thankful to
have been alerted to what I had done.

The coronavirus reminds us of our deep-rooted need for medicinal plants
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/medicinal-plants-book/2020/09/01/79993d58-e93b-11ea-970a-64c73a1c2392_story.html
(Includes pic of Gloriosa Lily which Randy Duran had initially intended to
talk about last night, in addition to gingers.)

Stealing information from host plants: How the parasitic dodder plant
flowers
https://phys.org/news/2020-08-host-parasitic-dodder.html

Scientists shed new light on pollen tube growth in plants
https://phys.org/news/2020-09-scientists-pollen-tube-growth.html