[BSW] Reminder: Hike this Sunday + Ideas about the 1000th meeting

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Wed Dec 19 11:23:39 CST 2018

In May, the Botanical Society of Washington will be to having its 1000th
meeting!

To celebrate that occasion we are planning to do something different from
our regular meeting and are seeking input from members about how we might
go about commemorating this special day.  It will likely take place on the
weekend rather than on our standard Tuesday evening. So, please think
about this and drop an email to kathy at fred.net with your ideas.  I will
collect them and pass them along to our president, Melanie Schori.

Eileen Grant in Alexandria is going to the field trip this Sunday and has
said she would be able to offer a ride to 4 people.  If you need a ride
and live in or can get to Alexandria, contact her at this email address:
granfling at aol.com.

Winter Solstice Field Trip & Hooley

12/23/2018 10:00 AM
Chapman State Park, Charles County, MD

Sponsoring Organizations: Maryland Native Plant Society, Virginia Native
Plant Society Potowmack Chapter, Botanical Society of Washington,
Mattawoman Watershed Society

Celebrate the start of the winter season at Chapman State Park with its
spectacular scenery and remarkable diversity of native plants, wildlife,
and natural communities. This year’s Solstice Field Trip is in memory of
Philip Blair, Tom Hollowell, and Gaylan Meyer.

We will visit the old-age forest section from the low river terrace and
extensive water-willow shrublands along the Potomac River to the marl
cliffs and ravines near Glymont. This section of the park is a regionally
unique meeting ground for plants with a primary range in the inner
Piedmont and mountains and those of the Coastal Plain.

Leaders: Rod Simmons, Bonnie Bick, Mary Farrah, and Robin Firth

FREE. NO REGISTRATION.

Wear sturdy shoes and bring lunch or snacks and water.  Most of the walk
traverses rolling, fairly open forest along trails, though some steep
grades will occasionally be encountered.

Cancellation Policy: In the event of heavy-steady snow, sleet, pouring
rain, or icy, dangerous conditions of roads, the field trip will be
cancelled and cancellation will be posted on the MNPS website.
( http://mdflora.org )

Contact for additional information: Anne DeNovo, denovoanne at gmail.com

Directions: Take Indian Head Highway (Rt. 210) south from Capital Beltway
(495).  Proceed south on Rt. 210 for app. 15 miles.  Continue on Rt. 210
past the Rt. 227 intersection at Bryans Road (McDonald's, Burger King, and
shopping center on right and large CVS and builders supply will be on
left) and start looking for Chapman Landing Road on right.  Take half
right on Chapman Landing Road and proceed a couple of miles to entrance to
Mount Aventine (Chapman State Park) on right.  Park and meet in small
parking lot at entrance gate (additional parking is available along the
shoulder of Chapman Landing Road, though please be extra mindful of the
neighboring residents and careful not to damage the road edges when
parking).