[Botsocwash] (BSW) April 2 topic and link + Vicki Funk article + Opinion piece about Herbaria

Kathy BILTON kbilton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 16:25:30 CDT 2024

More information regarding the next hybrid meeting on April 2:
The title of the talk will be "Figs and the Evolution of a Mutualism".
Our speaker: Carlos Machado,  Ph.D., of the Machado Lab, Department of
Biology, University of Maryland

A flyer is now available for the talk: http://www.botsoc.org/apr24.pdf

A Zoom link for the evening:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87861668978?pwd=QWtGUzdpc1RIc1VvMlJUOXd1bUJMdz09
Meeting ID  878 6166 8978   Passcode 841633

It will start at 7pm with Zoom doors opening by 6:30.  For those who are
coming in person and wish to go, we're planning to return to the custom of
having dinner with the speaker beforehand at the Elephant and Castle Pub
and Restaurant, 1201 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Washington. Phone
202-347-7707. Time and other details will be provided in a future email.

------------------------

Field trip info is here: http://botsoc.org/bswfieldtrips.html

------------------------

Opinion piece in the Post about the need for herbariums.
Scientists Depend on These for Research. Let’s Preserve Them.
https://wapo.st/4cpWQ28

Late Smithsonian Botanist’s Legacy Continues to Blossom
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/national-museum-of-natural-history/2024/03/19/old-plant-specimen-gets-a-new-name-to-ensure-late-smithsonian-botanist-gets-her-flowers/

MoBot Scientist is the World’s Top Female Botanist Naming Plants Today
https://www.stlpr.org/show/st-louis-on-the-air/2024-02-13/mobot-scientist-is-the-worlds-top-female-botanist-naming-plants-today

UW-Madison Botany Professor is Breaking New Ground in the Science of Space
Gardening
https://madison.com/news/local/education/university/uw-madison-space-plants-simon-gilroy-botany-uw-madison/article_0cc99158-c535-11ee-94dd-d3b9915d0659.html

Archive of previous emails:
http://botsoc.org/pipermail/botsocwash_botsoc.org/