[BSW] April 4 + Help document Ghost Forests + Misc.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Wed Mar 8 11:11:26 CST 2023

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 4.
Speaker: Dr. Allie Igwe, Department of Biology, University of Miami
Topic: Investigating the Plant-Growth Promoting Properties of
Microorganisms from Serpentine and Non-Serpentine Soils

Zoom link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83694932537?pwd=WmRORUxvUFhiN0xoRlR5VWdjMVovQT09
Meeting ID: 836 9493 2537   Passcode: 017115
April 2023 Flyer: http://botsoc.org/apr23.pdf

Here is the recording of our March meeting's speaker, Keryn Gedan. Her
topic: Sea Level Rise Effects on Coastal Forest.  The recording will be
available through the end of March.
https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/YkJObdPVeO0GdDpEvcuXQhz3OnI0nTO56_mbNN6sM4Og9V4BHKQfNjP6aRpdZqV6.s-L65vQOjwXY7dGJ
Passcode: 9xqU$qMF

Dr. Gedan shared with us a website through which you can help document the
formation of ghost forests.

Ghosts of the Coast
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/12863715c76a40d8928e467845801b03

Botanizing with Marion

You can go Botanizing with Marion at any time of year!
https://vnps.org/botanizing-with-marion/

There's an article (on p. 3) here about a lovely spring ephemeral
currently on view in your local woods:
https://vnps.org/princewilliamwildflowersociety/wp-content/uploads/filebase/pwws/pwws_wild_news/pwws_newsletters_2013/WILD-NEWS-March-April-2013.pdf

Friday, May 19 - 20th Smithsonian Botanical Symposium: Exploring Plants in
the Neotropics
https://naturalhistory.si.edu/research/botany/news-and-highlights/smithsonian-botanical-symposium

Officials ready to let urban runoff swallow a cherished Virginia lake
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/03/05/lake-accotink-urban-runoff/

Non-Native Plants Outnumber British Flora, Major Report Finds
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-64842402.amp

David Attenborough's New BBC Show 'Wild Isles' Could Be His Last
On-Location Series
https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/film-tv/2023/03/06/david-attenboroughs-new-bbc-show-wild-isles-could-be-his-last-on-location-series/