[BSW] Next Meeting, Topic, Description, Flier + MISC.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Fri Feb 17 13:55:06 CST 2023

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, March 7 at 7pm. Doors opening by
6:45.
The speaker will be Dr. Keryn Gedan from the Department of Biological
Sciences at George Washington University.

Title: Sea Level Rise Effects on Coastal Forest
Flier: http://botsoc.org/mar23.pdf

Zoom Link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87026031437?pwd=cll5cUJSUjNJSHc2MWpWeUFMdGorUT09
Meeting ID 870 2603 1437     Passcode 320545

intrusion kill trees at the coastal ecotone. The formation of ghost
forests reduces coastal forest habitat, however, it also offers an
opportunity for expansion of intertidal ecosystems such as tidal marshes,
which are rapidly losing habitat due to sea level rise-related drowning
and edge erosion. The Mid-Atlantic coast of the US is a hot spot of sea
level rise and provides a window through which to view the future of
coastal change. In forest plots spanning a salinity stress gradient,
vegetation monitoring and observational data paint a picture of the pace
and nature of ghost forest formation. Canopy, subcanopy, and understory
vegetation are rapidly changing as the forest converts to marsh. Patterns
have begun to emerge, including a rapid increase in the shrub layer, as
well as in the cover of a globally important invasive species, the common
reed Phragmites australis. During the transition, trees provide
instantaneous information about salt stress in their water use. We use sap
flow sensors to investigate the effects of sea level rise of these
stressed and dying trees.

UC Herbarium Gets Former Cincinnati Botanist's Collection
https://www.uc.edu/news/articles/2023/02/cincinnati-botanists-plant-collection-goes-to-uc-herbarium.html

Diederik De Jong 1932-2016

"Diederik and I played tennis with a group at Camargo Tennis Club for many
years. Not knowing that he had passed, I was thinking of him yesterday
while looking out in my yard at a 50 foot oak tree that's existence I owe
to Diederik. I had dug up an oak sapling in my yard with hopes of
transplanting it to a more suitable spot but all the dirt fell off the
roots. I tossed the sapling aside but told Diederik of my transplanting
misadventure. My tennis / botanist friend said "That tree is not dead. Go
home and replant it." I did. the tree looks great and will outlive both of
us! Thanks Diederik and God bless."
Mike Schoeny

Cassandra Quave: Hunting Plants That Heal
https://clear-vivid-with-alan-alda.simplecast.com/episodes/cassandra-quave-hunting-plants-that-heal

Videos from the Linnean Society
https://www.youtube.com/@LinneanSociety/videos

Making a Greener Planet: Nature Documentaries Promote Plant Awareness
https://academic.oup.com/aob/advance-article/doi/10.1093/aob/mcac149/6993916

Local Distilleries and Breweries Using Botany to Unlock New Flavors
https://www.twincities.com/2023/02/07/through-foraging-and-science-twin-cities-distilleries-and-breweries-are-using-botany-to-unlock-new-flavors/