[BSW] October 4: Economic botany as an option for development in Colombia

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Sun Sep 18 17:37:58 CDT 2022

As many know, there have been problems with many accounts not being able
to receive emails from the listserv. I am still working on it with the
support people of the hosting domin.

The speaker for our next meeting on Tuesday, October 4, at 7pm will be
Juan Diego Palacio-Mejía, Director of the Tibaitatá Research Center at
Colombian Corporation of Agricultural Research). His tentative topic:
"Economic botany as an option for development in Colombia"

The Zoom link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86418795565?pwd=cTZwL3dqYmRxRXBFalExcHlZQ2dDdz09
ID 864 1879 5565   PC  669356

A Rare Orchid, Thought to be Extinct, Has Been Rediscovered in Vermont
https://www.vermontpublic.org/vpr-news/2022-06-08/a-rare-orchid-thought-to-be-extinct-has-been-rediscovered-in-vermont

Film:  My Garden of a Thousand Bees
https://www.pbs.org/video/my-garden-of-a-thousand-bees-trjhzt/

At the last meeting, Marion showed images from her video for VNPS about
milkweed and also recommended the John Clayton Herbarium which is
available online on the website of The Natural History Museum in London.

Marions's Milkweed Presentation on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/showcase/8250556/video/728146372

John Clayton Herbarium
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/our-science/collections/botany-collections/historical-botanical-collections/john-clayton-herbarium.html

News from Nancy Rybicki:

The invasive aquatic plant, water chestnut (two-horned Trapa) is now
in Maryland and southern Virginia.

Update:

USGS NAS web site shows the two-horned Trapa distribution
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/viewer/omap.aspx?id=f3a647f4-6906-4928-b5b4-1421cd95a211

Links to Trapa news articles in 2022

8/6/22
https://www.greenbeltnewsreview.com/news-stories/invasive-water-chestnut-found-in-maryland-at-greenbelt-lake/