[BSW] Next month - going south with Doug Ripley + Recording from last meeting + Misc.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Sat Feb 5 08:57:39 CST 2022

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, March 1 at 7pm (doors opening at
6:45), We will be treated to a program by Doug Ripley, a past president of
the Society (1993).

"Exploring the South Atlantic and Southern Oceans: Views of the Flora,
Fauna, and Geology of the Falkland Islands, South Georgia Island, and the
Antarctic Peninsula"

Flier: http://botsoc.org/mar22.pdf

Zoom Link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84202807278?pwd=cDVJZWltQzYrL2tHc1UwaFZrMEVHdz09

--------------------------------------

Here is the recording from our recent meeting at which Nathan
Harrington spoke about the Ward 8 Woods Conservancy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3kYpqKqcCA

And an article from the Post about the Conservancy from December, 2020 - A
fight for forest equity in Southeast D.C. takes on new urgency amid
pandemic
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-ward-8-parks-cleanup/2020/12/05/1d34f078-260f-11eb-8672-c281c7a2c96e_story.html

---------------------------------------

Note: WRONG DATE was given in previous message.
Correct date: Thursday, February 10 at 7:30pm
VNPS Program: New Botanical Records and “Rediscoveries” in Fairfax County
with Nelson DeBarros
https://vnps.org/potowmack/events/new-botanical-records-and-rediscoveries-in-fairfax-county-with-nelson-debarros/

Knapp, Wesley M. and Naczi, Robert F. C. 2021. Vascular Plants of
Maryland, USA: A Comprehensive Account of the State's Botanical Diversity.
Smithsonian Contributions of Botany, number 113, Washington, DC:
Smithsonian Scholarly Press, 163 pages.
https://scholarlypress.si.edu/store/new-releases/vascular-plants-maryland-usa-comprehensive-account/

NASA-Owned Forest in Maryland Gets Reprieve
https://www.bayjournal.com/news/growth_conservation/nasa-owned-forest-in-maryland-gets-reprieve/article_4f97adda-8298-11ec-ae79-8fe73ff842c6.html

99M-Year-Old Flowers Found Preserved in Amber Bloomed at Feet of Dinosaurs
https://www.ksl.com/article/50339512/study-99m-year-old-flowers-found-preserved-in-amber-bloomed-at-feet-of-dinosaurs