[BSW] January 3: Rutaceae + Marcos' recording + Misc.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Tue Dec 13 16:53:27 CST 2022

Speaker for our January 3, 2023, meeting:
Dr. Marc Appelhans, herbarium curator and researcher at the University of
Göttingen

His subject matter will focus on recent systematic research on the
Rutaceae including several of its North American representatives.

Time: 7pm, with "doors" opening by 6:45.

Zoom Link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89234297170?pwd=dERoTldhUGZJb3AyaVZleHE2a2ViQT09
Meeting ID: 892 3429 7170
Passcode: 040188

Recording of Marcos's talk:
https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/TMRLznTVfoYmtxUListJ4cLtsexlHhk1JhJo74p5RA0cmfy-u-FZazNn4TB0jZVf._ltWsSk1fmZE9l-B
Passcode: rC=46QNy

Recently on NPR, a story about the sugar industry in the DR:
The Bitter Work Behind Sugar - Reveal
https://revealnews.org/podcast/the-bitter-work-behind-sugar-update-2022/

The Poinsettia’s Forgotten History
https://www.axios.com/2022/12/13/poinsettia-history-mexico-christmas-plant

New Arctic Report Warns of Disturbances for People, Plants and Animals
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-arctic-report-warns-of-disturbances-for-people-plants-and-animals/

On another topic - a friend contacted me yesterday to tell me she was
planning to go on a February 5-14 birding trip to Costa Rica and they are
looking for 2 more folks to join the trip in order to get better fares
(out of BWI airport).  A link to info about the trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5xn_Wya9MY