[BSW] June 1 Meeting + Thiers talk + MISC.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Sun May 16 13:25:11 CDT 2021

Our next meeting, the last until September, is coming up on the 1st of
June at 7pm Eastern. Doors will open by 6:45 for socializing.

Topic: Drakensberg Alpine Grasslands: An assessment of impacts to plant
diversity of fire and grazing.
(Some results of from a 2020 expedition to South Africa and Lesotho)

Speaker: Robert J. Soreng, PhD, Research Associate, Dept. of Botany,
Smithsonian Institution.

Zoom Link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89044695837?pwd=QUtZQ2c1MmRsRUhETXllc2tVZlZ1UT09
(If needed: Meeting ID: 890 4469 5837   Passcode:  990270 )

--------------------------
A recording of the Linnean Society talk given on May 13 by Barbara Thiers
is below.  It was NOT canceled, even though you may have received an email
saying that it was.  (Possibly the result of an overactive Outlook
calendar which sent out the email without human intervention...)

Herbaria: Collectively Saving Plant and Fungal Biodiversity
https://youtu.be/fYQzmrCokys

An interview with Thiers about the book she released last December:
Telling the Story of the Quest to Preserve and Classify the World’s Plants
https://www.nybg.org/planttalk/telling-the-story-of-the-quest-to-preserve-and-classify-the-worlds-plants/

And a December podcast with Thiers:
https://www.indefenseofplants.com/podcast/tag/Dr+Barbara+M+Thiers

Thursday, May 20 at 6pm Eastern - A Journey Through June Garden with David
Culp
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_hHLTtrfaRwiw7peGg4fKQA

Friday, May 21 at 9pm Eastern - Twenty Years of Conservation: Above and
Below Ground at Kartchner Caverns State Park (AZNPS)
https://aznps.com/event/cochise-chapter-meeting-3/

Tuesday, May 25 - 7:30pm - Gardening for Pollinators - MNPS Zoom
https://mdflora.org/event-4294522

Thursday, June 17 -at 1pm Eastern -The Global Heritage of British Natural
History
https://www.linnean.org/meetings-and-events/events/the-global-heritage-of-british-natural-history

These Native Woodland Plants Deserve a Spot in Any Garden
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/native-flowering-plants-garde
n/2021/05/11/ccf55ae2-ac20-11eb-ab4c-986555a1c511_story.html

One of the plants Higgins mentions, Phacelia bipinnatifida, I have growing
at my house, the result of a single small plant given to me by Jean
Worthley 8 or so years ago.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oy43wTjSL7y9e6-naOM0M84XlNi4vZPx/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GduTRy3SwVq8UhpjsZ0WN4YBgJ5SOIwQ/view?usp=sharing

"No woodland garden should be without a showy lavender-blue bloomer named
the fernleaf phacelia (Phacelia bipinnatifida). The half-inch blooms are
round and prolific, borne atop leafy stems. It is biennial; the first year
it germinates, the second it grows beefy and blooms before setting seed
and dying to start the cycle again. It may take three or four years for a
colony to become robust, but once it does, you will be pulling young
plants to control the show."