[BSW] Reminder: Slipper Sprurges tomorrow + MISC.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Mon May 3 12:45:29 CDT 2021

Reminder: Our next BSW meeting will take place tomorrow evening.

Tuesday, May 4 at 7pm Eastern

Dr. Ivalú Cacho of the National Autonomous University of Mexico will speak
on the topic of “Speciation in action? Biogeography, ecology and evolution
in a Caribbean slipper spurge”.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87402861208?pwd=eEtMUTVHRkM1bEJHTXphUkhEbUhFQT09

"Doors" will open at 6:45 for those who might wish to come a bit early. As
in the past, there will be a waiting room. Please try to make sure that
your Zoom account identifies you with your name.

This meeting will not be recorded.

Thursday-Friday May 13-14 - The 18th Smithsonian Botanical Symposium to
explore plant symbioses
https://naturalhistory.si.edu/research/botany/news-and-highlights

I was looking at the Orobanche uniflora along the Ferry Hill trail
yesterday when I decided to Google about it and what did I find but an
article our own Marion Lobstein had written for VNPS in December.
https://vnps.org/a-parasitic-lifestyle-beechdrops-and-their-relatives/

The day before, I'd been telling some people on a field trip about this
article from the NY Times about the plant:
The Flower That Must Not Be Named
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/nyregion/parasite-flower-orobanche-uniflora.html

New Book and Interview with One of the Authors
BSBI Handbook #22: Broomrapes of Britain & Ireland: interview with Chris
Thorogood
https://bsbipublicity.blogspot.com/2021/04/bsbi-handbook-22-broomrapes-of-britain.html

The Guardian of Cherry Trees: 93-Year-Old's Legacy
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/5001328/