[BSW] Next meeting: September 7 + Misc.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Wed Aug 11 11:55:41 CDT 2021

Our next meeting is coming up in less than a month, Tuesday, September 7
at 7pm.

As is the custom in September, it will be Members' Night.

The September Members' Night will provide an opportunity for several
members to share some of their botanical travel or research slides, or to
present other short subjects (10 minutes or less) to which this format is
especially suited. Members who plan to present slides should send an email
to Marcos Caraballo at CaraballoM at si.edu

There will be a waiting room before one can enter the Zoom session. Please
make sure your device indicates your name rather than something like
"Bob's iPad."

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86950100507?pwd=YUlRaVl5Y0ZXUmZNWnlTeTh3WjA0QT09

Tuesday, August 24 - 9am EDT

“Join us on Aug 24 for a close look at Anna
Atkins and her pioneering cyanotypes. It will be led by our knowledgable
librarian, Will Beharrell. Anna Atkins is one of natural history’s unsung
heroes. A pioneering botanist and photographer, her Photographs of British
Algae: Cyanotype Impressions, published in 1843, is often described as the
first book to be illustrated with photographic images. This event is part
of our Linnean Lens event series. Join us every month for detailed looks
at the provenance and significance of some our treasures.”
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/164843658821 9am Eastern

This Sweet White Flower is Actually a Sneaky Carnivore, Scientists
Discovered
https://www.npr.org/2021/08/09/1026091196/this-sweet-white-flower-is-actually-a-sneaky-carnivore-scientists-discovered

For the First Time, Researchers Just Watched How Plants Slurp Up Water
https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-just-watched-how-plants-slurp-up-water-for-the-first-time

Running Buffalo Clover
https://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=21-P13-00024&segmentID=6

‘People Think You’re an Idiot’: Death Metal Irish Baron Rewilds His Estate
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/07/people-think-youre-an-idiot-death-metal-irish-baron-rewilds-his-estate

Plants, Heavy Metals, and the Lingering Scars of World War I
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/zone-rouge-plant-growth

Study shows pest attack-order changes plant defenses
https://news.wsu.edu/2021/08/10/pest-attack-order-changes-plant-defenses/

Neil deGrasse Tyson Talks Psychedelic Mushrooms and the Weird World of
Fungi on His Podcast
https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/neil-degrasse-tyson-talks-psychedelic-mushrooms-and-the-weird-world-of-fungi-on-his-podcast/

The URL in the story below got separated in the previous email. Here it is
again, this time I hope the URL will come through in one line.

Enchantingly Strange 'Fairy Lanterns' Discovered Growing in a Malaysian
Rainforest
https://www.sciencealert.com/enchantingly-strange-fairy-lanterns-discovered-growing-in-a-malaysian-rainforest