[BSW] April 30: Living Books - May 4: BSW meeting + MISC.

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Wed Apr 28 10:17:39 CDT 2021

Friday, April 30 - 9am - International Colloquium: “Artialize” Nature,
Naturalize Art: When Plants and Other Creatures Become Living Books (Yale
Department of French)
https://french.yale.edu/event/colloquium-herbaria

Tuesday, May 4 -7pm Eastern - Next BSW meeting
Dr. Ivalú Cacho of the National Autonomous University of Mexico will speak
on the topic of “Speciation in action? Biogeography, ecology and evolution
in a Caribbean slipper spurge”.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87402861208?pwd=eEtMUTVHRkM1bEJHTXphUkhEbUhFQT09

New bill in Maryland awaiting the governor's signature,
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Details/HB0322

Prohibiting a certain restriction on use from imposing unreasonable
limitations on low-impact landscaping such as rain gardens, pollinator
gardens, and xeriscaping; requiring the property owner to regularly
maintain landscaping; providing that "unreasonable limitations" includes
items that increase the cost and efficiency of the low-impact program;
providing that the Act may not be construed to prohibit a certain
restriction on use from including certain reasonable guidelines; etc.

We’re in a biodiversity crisis. What we plant and how we alter landscapes
matter
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2021/04/19/were-in-a-climate-emergency-and-a-biodiversity-crisis-what-we-plant-and-how-we-alter-landscapes-matters.html

The Secret Mission to Unearth Part of a 142-Year-Old Botanical Experiment
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/21/989333092/the-secret-mission-to-unearth-part-of-a-142-year-old-experiment

The Botanist Who Defied Stalin
http://m.nautil.us/issue/99/universality/the-botanist-who-defied-stalin

A fine soft day for surveying moss and liverworts
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00813-6

Monday, May 17, 7PM-8PM EDT
Join BSW member Steve Lonker on Zoom on Monday, May 17, 7PM-8PM EDT, for
an Audubon Naturalist Society Naturalist Hour on an exotic journey to the
Western Tien Shan, home to exceptionally rich biodiversity, and
overflowing with endemic and globally rare species. With spectacular
mountains, deep gorges, steppes and deserts, the Western Tien Shan is the
place where many edible plants and cultivars evolved including almonds,
apples, apricots, irises, pears, pistachios, plums, tulips, and walnuts.
Its global importance as a future gene resource for producing disease- and
pest-resistance in our food crops is recognized through its designation as
a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Registration fee goes to help this great
organization.
https://campscui.active.com/orgs/AudubonNaturalistSociety#/selectSessions/2917731/filter/types=1381008