[BSW] New field trip Saturday, April 17 at 10am to Ferry Hill

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Sun Apr 11 10:43:16 CDT 2021

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, May 4 at 7pm.
Speaker: Ivalú Cacho
Topic: Caribbean Slipper Spurges

A 4th spring field trip for Saturday, April 17 at 10 am has been added,
this one to Ferry Hill, across the Potomac from Shepherdstown, WV.  (From
Rockville, it's just over an hour away.)

The circuit trail is about 1.5 miles and while not rugged there are a few
hills through the woods towards the end of the trail. If one did not want
to do the whole circuit, one could leave once the towpath section of the
trail had finished.

I've been thinking of suggesting this trip for years, and was spurred on
Friday when I saw the Shooting Stars just beginning to bloom. It should be
quite showy by next weekend. Lots of spring ephemerals should still be in
evidence, including Mitella diphylla and eye-level Asarum canadense.

Among the many things to see are the Atlantic White Cedars that Larry