[BSW] Update on Dec. 22 Winter Solstice Hike + carpooling emails

KATHY BILTON kathy at fred.net
Thu Dec 19 15:31:29 CST 2019

Below Rod's message about parking for Sunday are some emails (with their
permission) from people who are offering or requesting to carpool.

Map referred to is linked to rather than attached.

From: Rod Simmons Rod.Simmons at alexandriava.gov

Update on December 22, 2019 Annual Winter Solstice Walk:

Parking is in the lots off MacArthur Boulevard directly across the street
from Old Anglers Inn (see attached and below).  Do not park in the Old
Anglers Inn parking lot for this event!
https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/upload/Great-Falls-hiking-trails-map-accessible.pdf

We will meet at the edge of the larger parking lot.

Evidently, the Bay Journal blurb for the event directed folks to meet at
the Great Falls Tavern Visitor Center.  This, however, is not correct and
we will not be meeting there, mainly because of the $15.00 entrance fee to
park and access this end of the park.  There is no fee to park and access
the park from the Anglers parking area.

The weather on Sunday is expected to be milder, in the 50s, and mostly
sunny.  Therefore, parking may be somewhat limited at the Anglers lots.

If you don’t find a space at the Anglers lots, you can consider
“improvising” as lots of hikers and kayakers do along MacArthur Blvd. (and
hope that NPS is accommodating the unauthorized overflow as they usually
do).  I’m not recommending this option - only saying that the south side
of MacArthur Blvd. here is traditionally used as a sort of defacto
overflow parking.

Another option is to continue a short ways up the hill on MacArthur Blvd.
to the dozen or so unmarked parking areas along the gravel shoulder on the
north side of MacArthur Blvd. just east of the intersection with Falls
Road.  If you do park here, walk the Gold Mine Loop eastward past the
Rockwood Spur to the Anglers Spur and look for the group (see attached
map).

https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/upload/Great-Falls-hiking-trails-map-accessible.pdf

Lastly, if the Falls Road parking is full, consider taking MacArthur Blvd.
to the entrance to Great Falls Park, paying the entrance fee (NPS works
hard and does a great job stewarding our parks, so these fees really
help), parking, and walking eastward to the Great Falls Tavern Visitor
Center and head of the Gold Mine Spur (see attached map).  Take this trail
to the Gold Mine Loop, turn right and walk south along the Loop to the
Angler’s Spur and look for the group.  If you do take this option, the
group that started from Anglers will be walking towards you, albeit likely
slowly.

Again, it is recommended that folks carpool as much as possible and plan
to arrive a bit early.

Hope to see everyone - it’s been a long time since we’ve hiked the Gold
Mine Tract for the Winter Solstice Walk!

----------------------------

So far, there's been an offer of a ride from Vanessa Beauchamp who will be
coming from the Towson area (+2 more from people in Virginia - see below)
and can either drive others (two comfortably, three mildly uncomfortably)
or ride with someone. Let her know!

I asked her about her route:

For me, 83 to 695 to 95 to 495 is the most straightforward, but I can also
come down 29 or swing out on 70 and go south from there. They all take
about the same time. I can also come through Baltimore City if people need
rides from there.

Vanessa Beauchamp vanbeau at gmail.com or
you can call/text 443-986-2925

Hi Kathy,Jim Huddle and I have two spaces in our car if there is someone
(s) who want to join us. We could equally join a carpool. If alone, we'll
drive our tiny car...

So looking forward to our celebration!
Thank you,
Kathleen Kust  kathleenkust at gmail.com