[BSW] Memorial Service for Stanwyn Shetler

Sy Sohmer shsohmer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 15:26:22 CST 2018

It is with great sadness and remorse to learn of Stan's demise.  We have lost so many of our greats over the past decade.  I can remember as if it were still yesterday the fresh faced kid standing up in front of a botanical meeting touting this new tool called a computer to help with taxonomy.  I can also still see another great, A. C. Smith (my Ph.D. Advisor) appalled by this "new" development.  How things change.  But one that that must not is remembering someone like Stan (and Al, etc.) for otherwise they cease to exist.  So. Let even those among us with the biggest egos pause a moment, if they cannot come to the service, and remember him and the other great botanists who built their careers at the Smithsonian.  I will pause at the Arboretum in Superior, Arizona.

Sy

S. H. Sohmer, Ph.D, FLS
Director, Boyce Thompson Arboretum
37615 E US Hwy 60