[BSW] Field trips and Next meeting

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Thu Mar 31 13:07:15 PDT 2016

BSW is having field trips to the C and O Canal near Great Falls this
coming Saturday, April 2 and two weeks later on Saturday, April 16.

Meet at 9:00 a.m. at the parking area across from Old Angler's Inn. The
plan is for these trips to be led by the group members themselves, many of
whom have been to this site a multitude of times over the past years.

Plant list and other information can be found here:
http://botsoc.org/bswfieldtrips.html

ADDITIONAL TRIP - near Sharpsburg, Maryland

For anyone who would like to come out to the Sharpsburg-Shepherdstown
area for a trip on Sunday, April 3 - 10 AM - drop a line to
kathy at fred.net.  I can lead a trip in the vicinity of the Ferry Hill
Mansion that day if there is any interest.

https://www.nps.gov/choh/learn/historyculture/ferryhillplantation.htm
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//16498+Shepherdstown+Pike,+Sharpsburg,+MD+21782/@39.4380729,-77.7987867,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c9fb98d2f7e025:0x15c2b21f7a207fea!2m2!1d-77.796598!2d39.4380688

It is about an hour from the Montgomery Village exit on I-270.

N. on 270 to W. on I-70 at Frederick to W. on Alt. 40 to Boonsboro, left
at light onto Rt. 34 for about 9.4 miles - going through Sharpsburg to
Ferry Hill on right.  If you continue past Ferry Hill, you will cross the
Potomac into West Virginia.

Our next meeting is coming up next Tuesday, April 5.

Speaker: Chris Ludwig, Chief Biologist of the Virginia Natural Heritage
Program and co-author of the flora of Virginia

Topic: Shale Barren Rock Cress

Flier for posting: http://www.botsoc.porg/apr16.pdf

Location: VZ Conference Room (WG 33)
Ground Floor of the West Wing, National Museum of Natural History,
Smithsonian Institution, 10th St. and Constitution Avenue NW, Washington,
DC.

Please email Paul Peterson at the address peterson at si.edu to arrange for a
pass to get to the meeting room.

Pre-meeting dinner: 5:30 P.M. at the Elephant & Castle Pub and Restaurant,
1201 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Washington. Phone 202-347-7707. The
restaurant is diagonally across from the Old Post Office Pavilion at 12th
and Pennsylvania, a few blocks from the Museum, with Federal Triangle the
nearest Metro station, and Metro Center also nearby.