[BSW] 2016 Bioblitz - Registration deadline is Friday, February 26.

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Sat Feb 20 07:47:01 PST 2016

Information about parks outside the beltway follows the top portion of
this email which is directed towards places in Washington. DC, itself.

Dear Colleague,
We are currently recruiting field biologists and naturalists to
participate in the National Parks BioBlitz - Washington, D.C., and we
invite you to join us! This is a great opportunity to help document the
parks’ biodiversity and to share your knowledge and enthusiasm with
students, teachers, and the general public. If you're unsure where you fit
in, watch this short video to help you find your niche in BioBlitz. The
deadline to register is Friday, February 26.

https://nationalgeographic.formstack.com/forms/national_parks_bioblitz_2016_washington_dc_scientist_registration
http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-content/file/BioBlitz_2016_DC_FAQ-cb1452623825.pdf

The National Geographic Society (NGS) and the National Park Service (NPS)
are teaming up for the 10th year to conduct a BioBlitz in parks in and
around our nation’s capital on May 20-21, 2016. BioBlitz is an all-taxa
inventory in which teams of volunteers, each led by a subject matter
expert, find and identify as many species as possible within a 24-hour
period. The National Parks BioBlitz - Washington, D.C. and concurrent
Biodiversity Festival on the National Mall is a cornerstone event of  the
larger National Parks BioBlitz commemorating the centennial of the
National Park Service. In addition to activities at key parks within
Washington D.C., additional BioBlitzes and biodiversity celebrations will
be held in more than 100 national parks across the United States,
including throughout the National Capital Region. BioBlitzes happening in
other National Parks will have separate registration. You can see the
growing list of parks here.
We thank you for your time and look forward to working with you in the
National Parks in May!

===================================

NOTE: The information above mentions Washington, DC, but there are also
going to be events at these parks "outside the beltway."

Antietam National Battlefield
Catoctin Mountain Park
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Manassas National Battlefield
Monocacy National Battlefield
Prince William Forest Park
Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts

Registration for outside the beltway parks:
https://nationalgeographic.formstack.com/forms/national_parks_bioblitz_2016_national_capital_region_non_cornerstone_scientist_registration_form

Sincerely,
Robert A. Vogel
Regional Director, National Capital Region
National Park Service

Elaine F. Leslie
Chief, Biological Resources, Natural Resource Stewardship and Science
National Park Service

Dan Beaupré
Vice President, Experiences
National Geographic Society
P.S. Mark your calendar so you don't forget!

http://www.nature.nps.gov/biology/biodiversity/bioblitz2016.cfm