[BSW] Info re: weather for tomorrow's solstice walk and hooley

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Sat Dec 17 18:36:21 PST 2016

The weather tomorrow for the Winter Solstice Walk should be nice into the
mid-afternoon, when a cold front (not too cold though) moves into the area
bringing us spots of rain likely and temperatures back in the seasonal
40s.

The walk is only cancelled for pouring/steady rain, sleet/ice, or snow,
not mist, light drizzle, or fog.

We will stay within a quick walk's distance back to the parking area in
the afternoon though just to be safe, and we may have to curtail the walk
by an hour or so.  Still should be plenty of time to leisurely see lots of
great things!

See Jim Long's forecasts:

FYI, here are a couple weather reports. Should be ok, but I'd dress for
possible showers and wet ground.

Jim

1. Weather service forecast for Charles County
(ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/zone/md/mdz016.txt):

SUNDAY...RAIN...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON. PATCHY FOG. HIGHS IN
THE LOWER 60S. TEMPERATURE FALLING INTO THE UPPER 40S IN THE
AFTERNOON. SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST IN
THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN 90 PERCENT.

2. Capital Weather Gang
(https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/12/17/d-c-
area-forecast-ice-concerns-this-morning-then-warmer-the-rest-of-the-weekend-
with-more-showers-sunday/?utm_term=.df556000c94f)

"Tomorrow (Sunday): A cold front crosses the area during the day. We
should see enough warm southerly flow ahead of it to get us well into the
50s, or even above 60 in spots before it passes. It won't rain all day but
we could see a few waves of more concentrated showers, some of which could
be heavy with gusty winds. Behind the front, temperatures head downward
and winds start gusting again from the northwest. We may see a few
snowflakes as precipitation ends near evening. Confidence: Medium-High"

Thanks,

Solstice Walk leaders