[BSW] NSF cuts funding to biological collections

p2zamora at att.net p2zamora at att.net
Mon Apr 4 16:44:05 CDT 2016

Hi Kathy,
The article below might be of interest to BSW members.
Biological specimen troves threatened by funding pause
Article in Nature (News & Comment) on the recent decision by the US National Science Foundation that cuts $3 - $5 million a year in grants (equivalent to roughly 0.06% of the agency’s $7.5-billion budget for fiscal year 2016) primarily used to maintain biological collections such as herbaria.
The program “could be reinstated, but potentially with a new focus”. Fortunately, NSF is asking for feedback on the program. "During this time, the program has been asked to evaluate its value to the research and education community.  As part of this evaluation we welcome feedback from any stakeholders, including individuals, institutions, and professional societies."Let them know how invaluable our biological collections are! Follow the link bellow to add your comments.
https://dbinsfblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/16/csbr-fy17/
Link to the online Nature News story:
Biological specimen troves threatened by funding pause
|   |
| Biological specimen troves threatened by funding pauseDecision by US National Science Foundation could hamper research on conservation biology, climate change and invasive species. |
|  |
| View on www.nature.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |