[BSW] April 16 field trip + Article on effects of deer exclusion + Other events

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Sat Apr 9 07:36:12 PDT 2016

The next BSW field trip to Bear Island and the C and O Canal will take
place next Saturday, April 16. Meet at 9:00 a.m. at the parking area
across from Old Angler's Inn. Map to meeting spot, plant list and key and
other information can be found here:

http://botsoc.org/bswfieldtrips.html

Article via Rod:

Long-Term Effects of White-Tailed Deer Exclusion on the Invasion of Exotic
Plants: A Case Study in a Mid-Atlantic Temperate Forest
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0151825

The photo on this page shows how it can look when it's started spreading:
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural-heritage/vaisc/species/japanese-stilt-grass.htm

Response to New York Times article about the spread of Bradford Pear
http://newscompanion.blogspot.com/2016/03/more-skewed-logic-on-invasive-species.html

Tuesday, April 12 at 7 PM at the Fairlington Community Center

TreeStewards invite you to hear Dr. Penny Firth of the American Chestnut
Foundation who will share with us the ongoing efforts to develop and
reintroduce a blight-resistant American Chestnut to our forests. Free – no
need to RSVP
https://parks.arlingtonva.us/locations/fairlington-community-center-park/

Sunday, May 1, 2016 Wild Washington - Fort Chaplin
10:00 am - 2:00 pm - NE Washington DC
Sponsoring Organization: Maryland Native Plant Society

142nd walk in the Wild Washington- Forts series
Continuing our series of visits to Civil War Fort sites in Washington, DC
we will return to FORT CHAPLIN.  Always a very special trip in May because
wild flowers are in bloom.  We will also be in one of the best forests in
the Fort Circle and see much more than wildflowers.

Leaders: Mary Pat Rowan and David Culp
REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED.  - FREE
Notes: Easy to moderate walk.
Bring: Water and lunch or a snack.
Cancellation Policy: Cancelled if raining, but call Mary Pat at
202-526-8821 Sunday morning before 9:00 AM if weather is uncertain and you
are concerned about cancellation.
Contact: (for additional information; not to register) Mary Pat Rowan,
blair-rowan at starpower.net, 202-526-8821; or David Culp, 202-415-1594.

Directions: Meet on East Capital Street at 41st Street NE.  Traveling east
on Benning Road, cross Anacostia River and cross Minnesota Avenue NE.  Go
all the way to where Benning Road curves to the right and intersects with
East Capital Street.  Take a right on East Capital and head west a few
blocks until you get to 41st Street NE on your right.  Take a right and
park on 41st or on East Capital Street if you can.

For a listing of all events: http://mdflora.org/events.html