[BSW] Handouts from last meeting re: Flora of Virginia

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Sun Jun 8 16:17:48 CDT 2014

Here are the three hand-outs from Marion's June 3rd presentation about the
Flora of Virginia:

http://botsoc.org/Major_taxonomic_changes_in_Flora_of_Virginia_Families_4-16-14.pdf
http://botsoc.org/Lobstein_Modified_Key_to_Keys.doc
http://botsoc.org/Overview_of_Flora_of_Virginia-updated_6-3-14 BSW.pdf

There will be a questionnaire available later this summer about the Flora
of VA App which is under development.

>From the flora webpage  http://www.floraofvirginia.org/ :

Apropos of the App

The Flora Project's App Committee had its first meeting in early February
to plan our approach of creation of the App. Three subgroups are charged
with nailing down content needs of three main audiences, K-12 students,
university students and professionals, and serious amateur botanists.
Another subgroup is determining exactly the data fields the App will use
and considering how the information will be distributed.

Database work is complete, thanks to a grant from the Virginia
Environmental Endowment. The Virginia Native Plant Society raised more
than $8,000 toward app development, and a hearty year-end response from
our friends will also help with this effort. Once we have our exact wish
list, we will work with programmers and seek grants to further cover
development. Stay tuned!

Next meeting: Tuesday, September 2 at 7 P.M.

Several members will be giving 5-10 minute presentations on various
topics.

As in the past, our September "Members' Night" will provide an opportunity
for several members to share some of their botanical travel or research
slides, or to present other short subjects (10 minutes or less) to which
this format is especially suited. Members who plan to present slides
should send an email to Karen Redden (redden.karen at-the-domain
gmail.com).

There will be a laptop available for powerpoint presentations or other
digital media that you bring on a CD or USB drive.