[BSW] Orchid Decline Paper

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Sun May 4 13:37:54 CDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 13:23:08 +0000
From: Rod Simmons <Rod.Simmons at alexandriava.gov>
To: "armn at googlegroups.com" <armn at googlegroups.com>
Subject: Orchid Decline Paper

An excellent paper from our friends Wes Knapp and Dick Wiegand at the
Maryland Wildlife and Heritage Service:

       From: "Knapp, Wesley M." <WKnapp at dnr.state.md.us>
       Date: May 2, 2014 7:27:54 AM EDT
       To: Undisclosed recipients:;

       Friends and Colleagues:

       For the past few years Dick Wiegand and I’ve been writing up a
       paper detailing the decline of the Orchids of the Catoctin
       Mountains of Frederick County Maryland.  I am honored that this
       paper has been published through the international conservation
       journal Biodiversity and Conservation. The results of this
       41-year study show a precipitous decline in 19 of the 21 species
       of Orchids known from the Catoctin Mountains .  Annual census
       data at 167 sites from throughout the Catoctin Mountains on
       protected and unprotected lands (private and public) show a loss
       of three species from the study area, a decline of >90 %
       (ranging from 99 to 91 %) in seven species, and a decline of <90
       % (ranging from 51 to 87 %) for nine species. We tested the
       hypothesis that this decline is due to intensified herbivory by
       white-tailed deer. The overall orchid census data is
       significantly inversely-correlated (R = -0.93) to the
       white-tailed deer harvest data of Frederick County (a surrogate
       for population size), which includes the entirety of the study
       area.

       A link to this paper is below. This is an Open Access paper so
       anyone can download, read, and reproduce it. This paper
       documents a trend many have witnessed in adjacent State and
       regions. Please pass this paper on to our various conservation
       partners.

       http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10531-014-0698-2

       All the best,

       Wes

       Wesley Knapp
       Maryland Department of Natural Resources
       Wildlife and Heritage Service
       PO Box 68 (909 Wye Mills Rd)
       Wye Mills, MD 21679