[BSW] Inquiry from a library visitor re: C and O phenology data

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Thu Mar 6 15:37:22 CST 2014

>From Robin Everly:

Hi BSW members:

I’ve been helping Kelly Fox find information for her thesis which is on
flowering phenology of certain species in the C&O Canal area.  She has been
very thorough in her research and pretty much contacted everyone I suggested
so far.  Ed Barrows mentioned to her that Dan Nicolson conducting walks
along Bear Island for 30 to 40 years and gave out a handout with the first
blooming dates of species in her thesis.  Does anyone have a copy of this
handout that can be given to her?

Here’s Kelly Fox’s project in a nutshell:

I am currently working on my graduate project (Hood College, Environmental
Biology) coordinating citizen science efforts collecting phenology data
along the Canal and comparing current and historical data.  I am searching
for any previously collected data (blooming dates, fruiting dates, leaves
changing colors and dropping leaves) for 6 particular species: Claytonia
virginia (spring beauty), Viola soroia (blue violet), Acer rubrum (red
maple), Asimina triloba (Paw Paw), Lindera benzoin (Northern Spicebush) and
Mertensa virginica (Virginia bluebells).  The area I am really focusing on
is Mile Marker 13.7- MM 15 along the towpath, River Trail, and Ford Mine
Trail.

She is also looking for information naturalist and volunteer tour guide
Helen Johnston collected during her walks at the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal
National Historical Park.

If you have any information for Kelly from either Dan or Helen—please feel
free to contact her directly at :  Kelly_fox at nps.gov

Thanks, Robin Everly

Robin A. Everly

Branch Librarian, Botany-Horticulture Library
Smithsonian Libraries
National Museum of Natural History
Room W422, MRC 154
P.O. Box 37012
Washington D.C. 20013-7012
Phone: 202-633-1685
E-mail: everlyr at si.edu
Website: http://www.sil.si.edu/libraries/bothort/
Smithsonian Libraries:  Connecting. Ideas. Information. You.