[BSW] MNPS Field Trip: Winter Tree and Shrub ID Along the Potomac, 11 Jan
kathy at fred.net
Fri Jan 10 16:20:22 GMT 2014
This MNPS tree and shrub ID walk is to take place tomorrow, though it may
well be cancelled if the weather forecast is correct.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Maryland Native Plant Society <info at mdflora.org>
Date: Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Subject: MNPS Field Trip: Winter Tree and Shrub ID Along the Potomac, 11 Jan
MNPS Field Trip: Winter Tree and Shrub ID Along the Potomac
11 Jan 2014, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
MNPS Field Trip: Winter Tree And Shrub ID Along The Potomac River
General Description: Carderock is a great area to see lots of common trees
and shrubs in our area. We will use bark, twigs, buds, form, habitat, and
other characteristics to identify woody plants in this scenic area. We'll be
strolling along the C&O Canal towpath and in the woods. Parts of the trails
will be rocky and possibly muddy with a stream crossing or two.
Leader: Matt Cohen
Contact: matt at mattshabitats.com
You may want to bring: Water, snacks, field guides, good hiking shoes,
binoculars, note pad, camera
Note: If it's rainy or snowy, walk will be canceled. I'll send out an email
in the morning if I decide to cancel the walk. Email me at:
matt at mattshabitats.com to be notified.
Registration: is recommended but not required.
1. From the Beltway (I-495), take exit 41 (Coming from MD, the sign will
say: Carderock, Great Falls, MD. Coming from VA, the sign will say Clara
Barton Pkwy, Carderock, Glen Echo.)
2. Take the Clara Barton Pkwy going west.
3. Take the next right (sign says "Carderock, Carderock Div.
4. Go up the ramp (you'll see an I-495 sign).
5. At the top of the ramp, go left at the stop sign.
6. Go across the bridge over the Clara Barton Pkwy and continue straight
into the park (don't turn at the opposite end of the bridge).
7. Follow the road as it winds and goes under the C&O canal bridge.
8. The road ends at a T. Take a right. Park in the second parking area on
your left. (There are three total.)
For a listing of all events: http://mdflora.org/events.html
Maryland Native Plant Society
More information about the BSW