[BSW] Four Seasons garden club invitation (fwd)

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Tue Mar 5 15:42:40 CST 2013

>From Jim Dronenburg:

Greetings—Jim Dronenburg here. Could you please crosspost this?  Thanks, Jim

       The Four Seasons Garden Club announces its March meeting, Thursday
3/14/13 at Brookside Gardens.   Munchies at seven, speaker seven thirty.
Panayoti Kelaidis, Senior Curator & Director of Outreach at the Denver
Botanic Garden, will speak on “The Golden Mountains of Central Asia: a tale
of two trips to the Tian Shan and Altai Mountains of Kazakhstan and
Mongolia”

    We are limiting the audience to paid-up members of the Four Seasons.
However, membership ($15/year/single, $25/year/couple) may be purchased at
the door.  The membership gets you a year’s worth of monthly speakers
through November (no Dec meeting) and participation in the spring and fall
Plant Exchanges.    Feel free to crosspost this to other groups.  Please
email me at jdronenburg at ssa-i.org if you plan to come, as Brookside cannot
accommodate more than 150 people.

     Panayoti writes:  “In 2009 and 2010 I was fortunate to be able to spend
three weeks both years traveling through two of the highest mountain ranges
of Central Asia in search of plants. The Altai Mountains lie in the very
heart of Asia—equidistant from the Arctic, Indian, Pacific and Atlantic
oceans—which is to say the most continental spot on earth lying athwart the
boundaries of four of the largest nations on earth (Russia, China,
Kazakhstan and Mongolia). Although the climate is undeniably continental, we
were astonished by the range of beautiful flowers in a wide range of plant
families, and hundreds of interesting plants that were unknown or barely
known in cultivation. I was particularly struck by the many brilliant blue
flowers—the giant columbine of the Altai (Aquilegia glandulosa), many
gentians and Dracocephalum, and the ancestor of our border Delphinium
(Delphinium elatum) which grew natively on hot dry prairie. We made almost
700 collections which we are evaluating for their potential as garden
plants.”