[BSW] more about the banquet

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Thu Nov 15 23:06:27 CST 2012

Sorry - I meant to include in the message about the December 4 banquet
some further information about the talk Chris Puttock will be giving that
night.

The topic of his talk:

  Oaks of Washington DC and beyond - What’s queer about Quercus?

There are twenty one mid-Atlantic region native species of oaks, plus
several exotic species are also used as parkland and street trees. Dr.
Puttock will take us through the morphological tool-kit needed by the
professional botanists to have any hope in identifying these sometimes
difficult species, and then the hope of avoiding the common quercus
refrain “it’s a hybrid”.  The question then is: would molecular research
help, and where we are with using those data to sort them out?

Dr. Puttock is a botanist with more than 35 year experience in flora
writing, herbarium management, and marine and terrestrial environmental
conservation. He is the President of the Botanical Society of Washington
and a board member of the Maryland Native Plant Society.  Amongst other
things he is currently working on an electronic key of the paper daisies
of North America, the status of ginseng in Maryland, and preparing a book
on Maryland oaks.  His passion is in the landscape restoration of matrix
plants and animals without which the sustainability of the rare and
declining will never be achieved.