[BSW] Upcoming events and remembrance of Larry Morse

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Tue Oct 23 19:09:02 CDT 2012

Remember, the next BSW meeting is on the 6th of November, election night,
for the U.S. and for us.  So vote early and then join us for an evening
meeting.  Amanda Treher of NatureServe will be presenting on her research
on the genus Rhynchospora: Conservation and Taxonomic Revisions.  Hope
to see everyone there!!!

ALso on the 30th, Rod simmons will be speaking for MNPS about Oak Hybrids
of Our Region:
http://mdflora.org/events.html?eventId=538237&EventViewMode=EventDetails

I received the following from Stan Shetler which I am passing along with
his permission.

Remembering Larry Morse

Stanwyn G. Shetler

(I regret that because of my health I am not able to attend the tribute to
Larry, but I would like to offer a few reminiscences in this short
statement.)

I first met Larry Morse in the late 1960s through Dr. John Beaman at
Michigan State University when Larry was an undergraduate there. This led
to a summer internship with me at the Smithsonian Institution for two
summers to work on the brand new Flora North America Program. Larry was
developing a program for computer-assisted plant identification that we on
the FNA Editorial Committee thought might be applied to the Flora work.
This collaboration lasted for several years until FNA was discontinued.
His work is documented in part in publications. Our last FNA collaboration
was a bibliography of the FNA Report series.

Larry was always upbeat and cheerful—a pleasure to be around. He was
eager and worked tirelessly on projects, doing whatever needed to be done.
Through FNA and his internships he got some of his first introductions to
the taxonomic community at large. Larry, in turn, introduced many in this
community to the idea of computer-assisted identification and key-making.
In my book he is one of the pioneers in this field, and I will always
remember his significant contribution.

October 13, 2012