[BSW] Medicinal plant walk tomorrow - October 11 at Carter Barron + Misc.

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Wed Oct 10 11:53:21 CDT 2012

Rod Simmons will be speaking at the October 30 MNPS meeting about
Oak Hybrids of Our Region.
http://mdflora.org/events.html?eventId=538237&EventViewMode=EventDetails

Another Oak event - on November 14 at Irvine Nature Center, Owings Mills,
MD.  Cris Fleming will lead a tree identification workshop with a
focus on oaks.
http://mdflora.org/events.html?eventId=448618&EventViewMode=EventDetails

Medicinal plant walk tomorrow
Location: Carter Barron pavilion behind tennis center (from 14th and
Kennedy NW, follow Kennedy St. into the park. Take the first left and look
for pavilion on the right.)

Time: 6:00-7:30pm Thursday Oct. 11th

Many of the weeds and garden plants we see in city streets and urban parks
have rich histories of medicinal use. Join us for a plant walk led by
local herbalist Holly Poole-Kavana (www.redbirdbotanicals.wordpress.com).
We will explore the healing potential of our local flora, discuss plant
identification and uses, and briefly go over various kinds of medicinal
preparations. Participants are encouraged to share their knowledge and
experience.

Plant walks don't usually move very fast (too many plants to look at), so
don't expect to exert yourself, but do think about sun protection and
hydration.

This is a fundraiser for the Wayside Center for Popular Education in
Virginia. Wayside is a rural retreat center for social justice activists
in the region. Learn more at www.waysidecenter.org

Suggested donation $5-20!

Donate ahead of time and just let us know. at
http://www.waysidecenter.org/donate.php

Event posting: https://www.facebook.com/events/429690447076716/?fref=ts