[BSW] There's a Cricket Crawl a week from Friday!! (Aug. 24)

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Tue Aug 14 17:37:42 CDT 2012

The next BSW meeting will be on Tuesday, September 3rd at 7PM. It will be
Members' Night.  Think about getting together some pictures to show.

In the meantime, you may want to participate in the Cricket Crawl!

Friday, August 24th (rain-date August 25th) starting at 8:15 pm

Forget tweeting, this summer Maryland and D.C. and Virginia will be
CHIRPING! If you’ve ever listened to crickets singing on a summer night,
then you’re qualified to participate in Cricket Crawl 2012.

Cricket Crawl is an evening sound census of the late summer crickets and
katydids, which will help scientists to document these often overlooked
insects’ distribution. Just follow the steps below:

1. Go outside: Walk outside—in the city, your backyard, or at a local
park—between 8:15 pm and midnight on August 24th. Bring along your family,
friends and neighbors—the more the merrier! Make note of your general location
(street address, intersection, latitude/longitude).

2. Listen: Once you’ve picked a location, listen for one minute.

3. Identify: Did you hear one of our 8 target species? Each one has a unique
call. You can learn the calls by going to our website
(http://tinyurl.com/7y5trym) or attending a “Songs of Insects” walk
(www.meetup.com/marylandnature) prior to the event. You only need to write down
which species you heard; don’t need to count how many you think are out there.

4. Contact us: Send in your results immediately by calling: 707-820-7732 and
leaving a voice message. You can text your observations: 707-820-7732. You can
email your results, photos, sound files, etc.: speciesobs at gmail.com. Or send us
a tweet: @DevDemoHi.

5. Include this information: Your name; the location of your count (be
specific: address or nearest intersection); list of species you detected; start
time of the Count; a story or observation that you think people might like to
know about.

6. Visit our website to see the data as it’s mapped in real time as you do your
count. We hope to have the results go live during the night:
http://www.hawaiiwetlands.org:8080

Enjoy the sounds of summer and make a difference!

Cricket Crawl 2012 is a collaborative partnership of the Natural History
Society of Maryland, the Audubon Naturalist Society,
DiscoverLife.org, and the U.S. Geological Survey. Photographs courtesy of Wil
Hershberger and Lang Elliott.