[BSW] reminder - field trip to Turkey Run tomorrow, April 14

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Fri Apr 13 17:29:17 CDT 2012

When: Saturday, 14 April 2010, 10:00 a.m - 1:00 p.m.

  Where: Turkey Run Park, part of the national park The George Washington
Memorial Parkway

  Cost: Free, open to the public.

  Species list for Turkey Run:
http://www.botsoc.org/2000_list_Earth_All_110416_425 kb.rtf

Notes: The walk involves level paths and paths downhill and up a low
hill. We will meet in the parking lot (Lot C - which is the first lot you
get to coming into the park) by the Ziz-zag Stairs, walk down the
Stairs, and walk on the Potomac Heritage Trail west to near the American
Legion Bridge. We'll visit a riverine floodplain forest, upland forest,
cliff habitat, and a sandy area. The organisms that we'll note range from
archaeans and bacteria through protistans (algae) through fungi, plants,
and animals. Emphasis is on plants and insects. Many of the the spring
wildflowers should be at their peak during our visit. We will likely see
several bird species. Edd will have a downloadable handout for the
adventure.

  Contact: Edd Barrows, barrowse at georgetown.edu

  More information: Turkey Run Park is located in McLean, Virginia, two
miles south of the Capital Beltway (Interstate 495) in the national park
the George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP). From Beltway Exit 14,
follow the GWMP south 2 miles to the Turkey Run Park exit on the right.
Follow signs into the Park. From Washington, D.C., and Old Town
Alexandria, take the GWMP north approximately 8 miles and exit right at
the Turkey Run Park sign. Make the first right turn into the Park.