[BSW] March 31 field trip + More....

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Fri Mar 23 15:22:52 CDT 2012

Electricity from trees
Plants have long been known as the lungs of the earth, but a new finding
has found they may also play a role in electrifying the atmosphere.
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-electricity-trees.html

Peg Kay added a note about cherry trees:

A note in case you miss the main event.  Typically, the cherry blossoms at
Meadowlark Gardens arrive about 10 days after the blossoms at the tidal
basin.  And they are just as gorgeous.

Don't forget that this year's Washington Academy of Sciences Capital
Science 2012 conference will be held March 31 - April 1, with the BSW
presentations being given on the 1st.
http://www.washacadsci.org/capsci12/body.htm
http://www.botsoc.org/2012CapSciBotSoc.pdf

The first BSW field trip of the season is scheduled for Saturday, March
31.  The plan is to do our regular trip to Billy Goat Trail near Old
Angler's Inn.  We will meet at 9 a.m. in the parking area across from Old
Angler's. Map to area: http://bit.ly/GWojnl
(See Paul Peterson's findings about the area below. ANd below that for
suggested things to bring.)

http://www.botsoc.org/Bear_Island_list_April_2011.pdf
http://www.botsoc.org/Bear_Island_key_April_2011.pdf

The next trip is scheduled for the same time and place on the following
Saturday, April 7.  And a trip to Turkey Run on the Virginia side of the
river will take place the next Saturday, April 14.

As you may know there has been concern about the parking across from Old
Angler's and you may wish to try to carpool and arrive early to try to be
sure to get a parking spot.  Here is what Paul Peterson found when he went
to scout the area on March 10:

[I'm sorry - I was quite certain I had already sent Paul's message out
shortly after I received it on March 12 but saw no sign of it just now in
the message archive.]

On 10 March 2012 I went with Kostya Romaschenko and my kids to hike along
the Billy Goat trail from our usual meeting place across from Old Angler's
Inn.  There is limited parking in the regular lot and along McCarther
Blvd. There was no construction activity, probably because it was
Saturday, and I saw no construction workers.  So parking in the regular
lot was allowed.  I saw plenty of people using the regular parking lot and
it was nearly full (parking lot across from Old Angler's) when I arrived
at 2 pm.  However, I parked along McCarther with another 50 or so
vehicles.  I did not receive a ticket upon returning at around 6 pm.  We
walked to the entry to the Billy Goat trail, first crossing the bridge
over the canal to the west side near the Potomac River.  We then proceeded
directly to the river an hiked up this for about 100 meters then returned
to the towpath.  There were many people using the towpath here and yes
there is construction, and large drainage structure ins nearly finished
near the first bend in the path just below Widewater near the large Rock
outcrop.  The path is in excellent shape (smooth and well grated) and wide
enough to drive two pickups side by side here.  There is an additional
fence at the lower end of widewater a few hundred meters before you
connect to the Billy Goat trail but there is a short, well-worn trail that
cuts on the river side to go around this.  So, yes there is a fence
immediately below Old Angler's resticting movement, although most walkers
stepped over this rather than take the detour (trail) we took via the
river to go around the fence; and then another fence at the lower end of
Widewater.  I think we should all enjoy our regular scheduled field trips
as planned!  Saludos...Paul

Suggested items to bring:

Handlens, sunscreen, field guide(s), binoculars, lunch, raingear if
weather is iffy, hat, printout of plant list and key, camera, good walking
shoes, jacket (maybe not needed this year!)