[BSW] It's Cherry Blossom time in Washington D.C. ! (fwd)

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Thu Mar 22 11:56:23 CDT 2012

>From our Vice President:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:50:34 -0400
From: "Everly, Robin" <EverlyR at si.edu>
Subject: It's Cherry Blossom time in Washington D.C. !

Hi All,

Yesterday, seeing this article in the Post reminded me of my days at the
National Arboretum (USNA) when the Arboretum cherry trees as well as the
tidal basin ones are in full bloom.  Here’s the article from the Post about
Roland Jefferson, a retired USNA Botanist.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/for-retired-botanistcherry-blossoms-never-lost-their-charm/2012/03/20/gIQAxLfJQS_story.html

(it will be freely available for the next 12 days)

A while back, I asked for his great little book on the history of the cherry
trees and an National Arboretum Contributions publications entitled, “The
Japanese flowering cherry trees of Washington, D.C. : a living symbol of
friendship to be scanned for BHL.

Right now, it is in the Internet Archive if you would like to download and
read it.  It makes a great subway read.

http://www.archive.org/stream/japaneseflowerin04jeff#page/n3/mode/2up

And the Smithsonian Libraries has several books on cherry trees—history,
symbolism, gardening, and biology in its various Branches.  Keyword either
“cherry blossom” singular or plural to discover more on Prunus x yedoensis
(cv. Yoshino or Somei-Yoshimo) and its taxonomic relatives.

Finally, not only is the Cherry Blossom festival underway, but it’s the
100th  anniversary of this wonderful gift from Japan.  Japan, first sent us
the trees in 1909 but those had to be destroyed; it is the second gift given
to our Nation in 1912 we celebrate today.

Because it is a special anniversary, the festival is scheduled from March
20th to April 27th this year.

Learn more at : http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/

Robin A. Everly
Branch Librarian, Botany-Horticulture Library
Smithsonian Institution Libraries
National Museum of Natural History
Room W422, MRC 154
P.O. Box 37012
Washington D.C. 20013-7012
Phone: 202-633-1685
E-mail: everlyr at si.edu
Website: http://www.sil.si.edu/libraries/bothort/
Help save trees by printing only what you need.

Smithsonian Institution Libraries:  Connecting. Ideas. Information. You.