[BSW] Parking at Old Angler's-Ice Mountain-Flower People-Landscape Design-Botanical Memorial and More

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Thu Mar 8 13:17:53 CST 2012

Capital Science is coming up at the end of the month. There will be 5
presentations made by the BSW on Sunday.
Register before March 11 to save on registration fee.
http://www.washacadsci.org/capsci12/body.htm
Here are abstracts for the botanical presentations:
http://botsoc.org/2012CapSciBotSoc.pdf

>From Edd Barrows, some links regarding Ice Mountain (in West Virginia,
not too far from Capon Bridge which is about 20 miles west of Winchester,
VA) - including a nice video from West Virginia Public Broadcasting:

Interesting online info on Ice Mt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Mountain

A trip to Ice Mountain, Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBUUCESehms

Linda Davis passed along this link:
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/338945/title/Plants_reproductive_weaponry_unfurled
Plants' reproductive weaponry unfurled
Botanical tricks include adhesion and bubbles to spread their spores

She also sent along some interesting 'flower' pictures which I was able to
find online here: http://markbmp.posterous.com/flowers-made-up-of-people

Be on the lookout for a botanical memorial art installation on the grounds
of the National Museum of Natural History, created by a visitor to our
last BSW meeting, conceptual artist, Willem Boshoff.

Coming up on March 15 - free presentation at Green Spring Gardens
'Landscape Design for Pollinator Diversity'

http://www.vnps-pot.org/news/lecture315-landscapedesign

Our first field trip of the season is scheduled for Saturday, March 31 to
the Billy Goat Trail area along the towpath.  Though the parking area
there will not be available, however, it is thought that one will be able
to park not too far away, along McArthur Blvd. or in the nearby
neighborhoods.  However, one will need to be prepared to walk a ways to
get to the meeting spot which (at least so far) will be the same as if the
parking area were to be open. (Across the street from the Old Anglers
Inn.)

I have just phoned Great Falls and talked to a park ranger there about the
towpath and parking situation.

The towpath is closed between Old Angler's and Widewater.  So to get to
the area where we usually go, we would have to walk on the Berma Road for
a mile or so to get up and then back over to the towpath.

He said that though parking is illegal (Montgomery County) along MacArthur
Blvd. many people do park there but can be ticketed.  I also asked about
parking along neighborhood streets.  That is legal but lots of residents
have been complaining.

His recommenation was to park at Great Falls.  (There is an entrance fee
of $5 per car. If one doesn't already have one, those 62 and over can get
a lifetime NPS pass for $10. The pass can be bought at the entry and is
good for all in the car.)

Here is what's on the park website regarding the situation at Old Anglers
Inn: http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/closures.htm