[BSW] Another comment + upcoming events

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Wed Feb 22 09:12:19 CST 2012

Re: Ice Mountain suggestion:
From: "Faden, Robert" <FADENR at si.edu>

I think that is a great idea.  It certainly was one of the most memorable
trips that I have been on with the BSW.  We went in June, 1989, if I recall
correctly.  The air temperature was about 90 whereas the thermometer
inserted in one of the cold vents read 38ºF!  Larry was indeed the leader of
the trip. Bob Faden

Next BSW meeting - Tuesday, March 6
Alan Whittemore will be the speaker.
Topic: Evolution and classification of the hackberries (Celtis subg. Celtis)
Flyer:  http://botsoc.org/mar12.doc

Butterfly Gardening talk on Thursday

Join WABC for its February butterfly gardening program Thursday, Feb.
23, 7:30 pm at Long Branch Nature Center in Arlington.  This year’s
speaker is Marie Rojas.
http://leplog.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/butterfly-gardening-talk-at-wabc-feb-24/
  (Webpage may still say Feb 24, but it's Feb. 23.)

Tuesday, February 28 - Cris Fleming is going to be doing a workshop on
Winter Oak Identification in Kensington, MD.
http://www.mdflora.org/events.html?eventId=425309&EventViewMode=EventDetails

Sunday, March 4 Winter Tree ID at Prince William Forest Park
http://www.vnps-pot.org/news/march4wintertreeidentificationatprincewilliamforestpark

Doug Tallamy: Bringing Nature Home - Tuesday, March 20 in Cheverly
http://www.mdflora.org/events.html?eventId=447006&EventViewMode=EventDetails

The weekend of March 31-April 1
The BSW will have several members presenting papers at the Washington
Academy of Sciences Capital Science 2012 conference.
http://www.washacadsci.org/capsci12/body.htm