[Botsocwash] (BSW) 🎃 🦇 🕸️ 🦇 🎃 Next week's meeting + December news + Misc. 🎃 🦇 🕸️ 🦇 🎃

Kathy BILTON kbilton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 14:50:34 CDT 2023

 NOTE: ANNUAL ELECTIONS WILL BE HELD AT THE NOVEMBER 7 MEETING

    🎄  ❄️  🎄  NEWS!  🎄❄️  🎄

An In-Person(!) Holiday Potluck is being (tentatively) planned for the
Tuesday, December 5, meeting. If all goes well, it will be in the WG-33
Conference Room (West Wing, ground floor) at the museum. This is the room
where we had been meeting prior to the beginning of the pandemic.  The cost
will be $10 per person which will cover beverages, lasagna (Pines of Rome)
and bread (Bon au Pain).  A Google Doc for signing up will be available at
a later date.  And it is hoped that the meeting will be hybrid, with the
presidential address available on Zoom as well as in-person.

   🎄  ❄️  🎄  ❄️  🎄❄️  🎄

Comments regarding Rock Creek tree removal plan will be accepted through
November 4.
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?documentID=132034

Page about the issue from Casey Trees:
https://caseytrees.org/2023/10/calling-all-casey-trees-advocates-save-trees-in-rock-creek-park/

This page:
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=198&projectID=112141&documentID=132034

...includes a link to this file:
ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT ROCK CREEK PARK GOLF COURSE REHABILITATION
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/showFile.cfm?projectID=112141&MIMEType=application%252Fpdf&filename=ROCR%2DGolfCourse%2DEA%5FCamera%2DReady%5Fclean%5F5081%2Epdf&sfid=675686

A week from today, on Tuesday, November 7, at 7pm will be our 1042nd
meeting. The doors will open by 6:45pm.

Our speaker will be:

           Dr. Ryan Folk, Assistant Professor and Herbarium Curator
           Department of Biological Sciences at Mississippi State University

His topic:  Nitrogen-Fixing Symbioses in a Challenging World: Insights from
Large-Scale Ecological Modeling

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82479738902?pwd=bzlYdDVqSndsYmM3ZWNzZ1h6VGRFQT09
Meeting ID: 824 7973 8902  Passcode: 199953

Flyer for November 7 meeting:  http://botsoc.org/nov23.pdf

Thursday, November 2, at 10:30 a.m. -  Darwin and the Art of Botany
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/darwin-and-the-art-of-botany-registration-704623526937?aff=oddtdtcreator

Does Salvation for California’s Redwoods Lie Out of State?
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/31/us/california-redwoods-climate.html?unlocked_article_code=1.60w.abVK.qyqKylKHRspd&smid=em-share

Opinion - This park is D.C.’s summer gem
https://wapo.st/464v4nv

These New Apples are Built to Withstand Extreme Weather
https://wapo.st/3QEcnCA

Channeling Treebeard - What Forests Do for Us and How We are Repaying Them
https://prufoster.substack.com/p/channeling-treebeard

Why Teaching People about Invasive Plants Can Get a Little Thorny
https://www.wesa.fm/environment-energy/2023-10-31/teaching-people-about-invasive-plants-cmnh

Near-Extinct Species Spotted for First Time in Two Hundred Years: ‘Nature
Surprises Us’
https://news.yahoo.com/near-extinct-species-spotted-first-093000110.html

'Extinct' Fynbos Species Rediscovered on Nuwejaars Wetlands
https://www.capetownetc.com/conservation/extinct-fynbos-species-rediscovered

Bewitched Botany - Toxic Flora of Appalachia
https://appvoices.org/2023/10/20/bewitched-botany/

Trying to determine whether  these are leaves of Aralia spinosa or A. elata?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/135pls1pdX3e24z-pWbaYlZT0sNpxTEQn/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/133RmCUt5sYiS8-PSukOVf5_UHRpbaEw3/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12u_XOtiql_DXUqq5KAXkqcHDG0EE3hM7/view?usp=sharing

http://botsoc.org/pipermail/botsocwash_botsoc.org/2023-October/000007.html